Citizenship required documents checklist

  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Social Security Card
  • 2 identical color photos
  • All current and expired passports
  • List of all addresses where you have resided over the past 5 years and the dates you lived at each location (dates moved in/moved out)
  • Employment history from the past 5 years including business/employer name, addresses, dates of employment
  • List of all travel outside the U.S. since becoming a Permanent Resident, including destinations and dates of travel
  • List of all children with the complete names, dates of birth, home addresses, and Alien Number (if applicable)
  • Each child’s birth certificate (if available)
  • Most recent tax return
  • If your legal names is different from the name on your Permanent Resident card, please provide official documents proofing the change (divorce decree, marriage, certificate, or court document)
  • If you have ever been arrested or detained by law enforcement, please provide a certified court disposition and arrest report from the police

If you are seeking citizenship based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, please also provide the following documents:

  • Proof that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years (birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, U.S. passport)
  • Your current marriage certificate
  • Proof of termination of all your prior marriages (divorce decree, annulment, death certificate)
  • Proof of termination of all your spouse’s prior marriages (divorce decree, annulment, death certificate)
  • Documents referring to you and your spouse (tax returns, bank statements, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children)
  • Tax returns from last 3 years
  • Paid USCIS application fees

You may qualify for an application fee waiver:

  1. You are receiving government assistance,on welfare, orĀ means tested benefits such as Food Stamps/SNAP, SSI, Medicaid, TANF, etc. Please bring a status letter from the providing agency that proves you are currently receiving the benefit(s).
  2. Your house income is at or below 150% of the FEDERAL POVERTY GUIDELINES at the time of filing. Please bring your most recent tax return to prove eligibility.